How to Use Nasal Spray
- Tilt chin down toward chest. Since the nose and the throat are connected anatomically, if you’re looking up when you use a nose spray the liquid can run into your throat, where it doesn’t belong.
- Insert tip about halfway up nostril, then tilt it gently outward toward that ear. Press firmly to spray medicine once. DO NOT “snort”, sniff or inhale through your nose or swallow. Repeat for the other nostril.
- Gently hold the nostrils closed for ~ 15 seconds to allow medicine to absorb, and then allow any extra to drip out onto a tissue. DO NOT “snort”, sniff or inhale through your nose or swallow, since this will pull medicine into your throat.
- If you are supposed to do 2 sprays per nostril, wait 30 seconds between them. Repeat from step 2.
3 More Helpful Tips On Nasal Spray
- If needed, blow your nose BEFORE using your nasal spray. Try NOT to blow your nose for at least 5-10 minutes after using your spray, to allow the medicine to absorb.
- Some nose sprays take 5-10 days for full effect! Like; Nasonex, Flonase, Rhinocort Aqua, Nasacort Aqua, Omnaris, Veramyst, Astelin, Astepro, Patanase. Do not use these products for a day or two and then give up because “it isn’t working”! Give the medicine a long enough trial to fairly assess whether it works for you.
- This may seem obvious, but medicine only works if you take it. It’s common for people to get so used to their allergies that they think they feel “normal.” Try to take whatever Dr. Storms or one of the Nurse Practitioners recommends for at least a few weeks and pay attention to any differences in how you feel.
Remember, we’re here to help!
Of course, if you have any questions or troublesome side effects, please call us at (719) 955-6000.